Granite Orthopaedics, located in Prescott, Ariz., was using a server-based electronic health record (EHR) system that was far from intuitive. With nine providers across two office locations, the expensive license fees and lack of efficiency this system provided prompted a need for change. Continue reading to learn more how this Arizona orthopedic practice has benefited with Modernizing Medicine’s technology.
1. Time for Change. The practice knew a change was needed and started to evaluate twelve different products. After a demo of Modernizing Medicine’s specialty-specific EHR system, EMA – their decision was easy. Chris Studinger, Practice Director shared, “EMA’s native iPad application is cloud-based, easy to use and is designed for orthopedics; not to mention the pricing was very reasonable. The mobility and intuitive functionally EMA presents positions it in a class all its own.”
2. Thorough Training. After Granite Orthopaedics decided to move forward with EMA, the Granite team worked with our team to create a training schedule. The combination of an easy to use system combined with the thorough training made for a successful implementation. Specifically, the Granite team participated in eight Web Based Trainings which gave a solid baseline of education for their staff and generated excitement from their team and the opportunity to ask questions. Two weeks post launch clinic volume was back to normal and no one in the office complained during the transitional period.
After two months into using EMA, Chris shared, “We had a trainer visit to work with our staff to refine their skills. I feel this worked very well and was a nice way to round out the process. I am a firm believer in education and wanted to develop a strategic relationship throughout the process, which I continue to have with the team at Modernizing Medicine.”
3. Increased Productivity. In addition to having practicing orthopedic surgeons design EMA, the touch-based, intuitive iPad interface comes outfitted with orthopedic-specific medical content, which helps increase productivity and improve coding accuracy.
Chris shared, “My biggest concern with adopting a new EHR system was that it would inhibit our practice workflow and decrease productivity. Since implementing EMA, we have increased the number of patient encounters by 40%. EMA has really simplified our flow without sacrificing our documentation. A follow up appointment can be documented in a matter of minutes with just a few taps on the iPad and our patients appreciate the dedicated attention they receive from our providers.”
Additionally EMA helps with coding as it is equipped with ICD-10 codes to help the practice get paid properly. After the exam is complete, the documentation is done and the bill is ready automatically. Dr. Spencer Schuenman, an orthopedic surgeon at the practice shared, “Not only is EMA an efficient system but it has helped us be more comprehensive with our billing and substantiating E&M codes that we submit. Because EMA is so intuitive, I rely on the coding it automatically generates to make sure I capture all of the charges necessary, and I have the thorough documentation to back it up.”
4. On-going Success. EMA captures and organizes the structured data needed to attest for Meaningful Use while enabling providers to check on their status along the way. With the help of EMA and Meaningful Use Safeguard Services (MUSS), which provides a dedicated Compliance Advisor to assist with attestation, Granite Orthopaedics successfully attested for Meaningful Use.
Chris shared, “Our experience with Modernizing Medicine has been positive from the beginning and continues to be. Their team is forward thinking and is always responsive should we need assistance. Other EHR vendors just put patches on problems and aren’t really advancing. Modernizing Medicine continues to be dedicated to building outstanding products in the marketplace and we look forward to working with them for many years to come.”
Key benefits include:
- Orthopedic-specific EHR system
- Thorough training supports success
- Ease of use helps increase productivity
- Intuitive interface enhances workflow