What an incredible way to kick off 2016! I am proud to share that Balcones Dermatology is one of the first practices to go live with Modernizing Medicine’s long-awaited practice management system, modmed PM™, and its alpha-scheduling suite.
You may be wondering what “alpha scheduling suite” means. Essentially, Balcones Dermatology was one of the first practices in the country to use modmed PM as an alpha user. We helped the experts at Modernizing Medicine create an ideal practice management system that is integrated with the company’s electronic health record (EHR) system, the Electronic Medical Assistant® (EMA™).
Participating in the alpha program was an honor and a rewarding experience. Many physicians, including myself, complain about their practice management systems. As an alpha site, we helped Modernizing Medicine create one that is more efficient and streamlines office flow.
Kudos to Angela and Savannah from Modernizing Medicine who were on-site for the launch. We couldn’t have asked for a better team to provide support, guidance and enthusiasm with this transition. They were patient and professional during training, and we felt our input for improvements were welcomed and appreciated.
In the short amount of time we have been live with the scheduling suite, I have noted significant improvements in many facets of my practice. We are committed to the well-being of our patients and providing the highest quality care, and modmed PM factors into that equation. Here are some of the reasons why I myself as well as my practice are thrilled about modmed PM and all that is to come:
- I am already saving an average of two minutes per patient now that I can use the iPad for all my needs.
- My staff loves the Appointment Finder and the Appointment Flow functionalities. The front and back office can tell when a patient is checked in, when they are ready to be roomed, when the patient is roomed, what room they are in and when the patient is ready for the physician, when the patient is ready to check out and when the patient is checked out. The back office can see if a patient has been checked in and missed for rooming. modmed PM has a great filtering system!
- The nurses are more confident when greeting patients, and they are much clearer about the order of patient treatment. modmed PM shows “get” in red when a patient is ready to go back. This feature helps reduce patient wait time, so it’s a perk for patients too!
- The front desk staff no longer has to pre-create visits just to allow the MAs to see when a patient has arrived.
- And last but not least, modmed PM Financial is taking billing to a new level of efficiency. Collections at the time of the visit are expected to be more accurate. Fee schedules are set up with allowables for every code along with the allowables associated with any modifiers used with a given code. This feature helps take the guesswork out of collecting, and it supports an easier transition from manually posting payments to accepting payments electronically. In the first few days of the week of officially launching modmed PM Financial, we sent more than 40 claims sailing through to payers, hitch-free!
As with anything new, there is a transition and adjustment period. I look forward to continuing to work with the team at Modernizing Medicine and seeing the continued improvements and advancements with modmed PM as it graduates from the Alpha phase, which will benefit our practice and our patients.