What an incredible way to kick off 2016! I am proud to share that Balcones Dermatology is one of the first practices to go live with Modernizing Medicine’s long-awaited practice management system, modmed PM™, and its alpha-scheduling suite.
You may be wondering what “alpha scheduling suite” means. Essentially, Balcones Dermatology was one of the first practices in the country to use modmed PM as an alpha user. We helped the experts at Modernizing Medicine create an ideal practice management system that is integrated with the company’s electronic health record (EHR) system, the Electronic Medical Assistant® (EMA™).
Participating in the alpha program was an honor and a rewarding experience. Many physicians, including myself, complain about their practice management systems. As an alpha site, we helped Modernizing Medicine create one that is more efficient and streamlines office flow.
Kudos to Angela and Savannah from Modernizing Medicine who were on-site for the launch. We couldn’t have asked for a better team to provide support, guidance and enthusiasm with this transition. They were patient and professional during training, and we felt our input for improvements were welcomed and appreciated.
In the short amount of time we have been live with the scheduling suite, I have noted significant improvements in many facets of my practice. We are committed to the well-being of our patients and providing the highest quality care, and modmed PM factors into that equation. Here are some of the reasons why I myself as well as my practice are thrilled about modmed PM and all that is to come:
- I am already saving an average of two minutes per patient now that I can use the iPad for all my needs.
- My staff loves the Appointment Finder and the Appointment Flow functionalities. The front and back office can tell when a patient is checked in, when they are ready to be roomed, when the patient is roomed, what room they are in and when the patient is ready for the physician, when the patient is ready to check out and when the patient is checked out. The back office can see if a patient has been checked in and missed for rooming. modmed PM has a great filtering system!
- The nurses are more confident when greeting patients, and they are much clearer about the order of patient treatment. modmed PM shows “get” in red when a patient is ready to go back. This feature helps reduce patient wait time, so it’s a perk for patients too!
- The front desk staff no longer has to pre-create visits just to allow the MAs to see when a patient has arrived.
- And last but not least, modmed PM Financial is taking billing to a new level of efficiency. Collections at the time of the visit are expected to be more accurate. Fee schedules are set up with allowables for every code along with the allowables associated with any modifiers used with a given code. This feature helps take the guesswork out of collecting, and it supports an easier transition from manually posting payments to accepting payments electronically. In the first few days of the week of officially launching modmed PM Financial, we sent more than 40 claims sailing through to payers, hitch-free!
As with anything new, there is a transition and adjustment period. I look forward to continuing to work with the team at Modernizing Medicine and seeing the continued improvements and advancements with modmed PM as it graduates from the Alpha phase, which will benefit our practice and our patients.
The AuthorDavid Bushore, M.D.
David Bushore, M.D. is the sole owner of Balcones Dermatology, a practice that prides itself on creating a warm, family-like environment for all patients. His staff routinely receives positive feedback on how efficient, friendly and accommodating they are towards patients. Dr. Bushore enjoys being able to meet the medical, surgical, and cosmetic needs of patients of all ages from infant to geriatric. He enjoys the personalization of care: realizing that even though many people may have the same condition, every person’s treatment must be tailored to fit their specific needs. Dr. Bushore makes time to help his patients feel heard and lets them know their concerns are important. He enjoys the long-standing relationships he builds with his patients and is grateful for the privilege to care for them.
Dr. Bushore has a keen interest in the aesthetic nature of his work. This focus is apparent from how he sutures wounds to cosmetic interventions. He enjoys the artistry associated with Botox® and fillers and how subtle improvements with these minor procedures can have dramatic effects on a patient’s self-image. His goal is to give his cosmetic patients the “Austin Natural Look” that enhances their own beauty and maintains a healthy and natural appearance. He’s carving a niche for himself by adhering to more natural-looking cosmetic interventions and specialized techniques. His patients are thrilled with their results and how their enhancements are not obvious.
Dr. Bushore was born and raised in Knoxville, Tennessee. After completing medical school and dermatology residency at the University of Tennessee, he moved to Austin in August, 2003 and joined Balcones Dermatology Associates. He was a participating physician at the Volunteer Healthcare Clinic from 2007-2014 where he donated his medical services to assist underserved populations. Once a month from 2008-2014, Dr. Bushore volunteered his time to teach dermatology residents who were part of the University of Texas Southwestern dermatology program in Austin. Dr. Bushore also teaches 4th year medical students on clinical rotations from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. Since Dr. Bushore greatly benefited from the sage advice of his mentors, he feels it is important to help cultivate the talents of the next generation of dermatologists.